A Brush with Kindness (ABWK)
Home Repair Services Offered
Exterior services that help preserve the home that are eligible through this program include:
- Power wash exterior siding of home
- Minor repairs to siding, fascia, and soffit
- Scrape and paint exterior of home
- Gutter cleaning
Aging in Place Modifications
Include services to modify homes for people 60 and over that will increase their activities of daily living so that they can remain in their homes and live safely and securely as they age. Modifications can be for current or anticipated future needs of the older adults living the home. Modifications could include:
- Wheelchair Ramps
- Step Repair
- Handrails/Railings/Grab bars
- Tub Cut Outs
- Handheld Shower Head Extension
- ADA Compliant Toilets
- Changing turn style door and faucet handles to level style handles
Critical Home Repair
Includes all interior work and extensive exterior work performed to address health and safety issues or code violations to ensure a safe and healthy living environment that encourages continued ownership. Eligible projects must demonstrate one of these basic health or safety needs:
- Fire Safety – installation of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Home Safety – repair/replacement of non-functional doors, locks, windows, and security doors; improved exterior lighting; repair/replacement of gates, porches, steps, and walkways that are non-functional and prevent egress in event of emergency
- Minor Electrical – light fixtures, outlets, and switches
Ineligible Repair Services
The Camden Habitat for Humanity ABWK Home Repair Program is meant to meet a need of Camden County residents’ homes by keeping the homes safe, dry, accessible, and code/HOA compliant. ineligible activities include cosmetic or luxury improvements on the property, repairs to outbuildings, or garages unless connected to the property (and a source of code or safety concern), and improvements/installation of porches/decks that do not affect safe egress.
Cosmetic improvements include but are not limited to: ongoing-landscaping work, tree removal, additions, fireplaces, pools, hot tubs, kitchen/bath cabinetry, and driveway or sidewalk repair/replacement (except in cases where it is deemed necessary for Aging In Place safety).
Additionally, due to safety concerns for our volunteers, no repair work will be performed on homes where work will require volunteers or staff to go higher than two stories in the air.
How Do I Apply?
Own Your Home
Applicants must own the home services are needed for and home must be applicant’s primary residence.
ABWK Application must be filled out in entirety and provide proof of income and proof of homeownership.
Demonstrate Financial Need
Household income cannot exceed 60% of Area Median Income (AMI) annually.
Verification Items Required:
- Last 3 pay stubs or other proof of income for each adult who lives in house, unless they are a full-time student
- Most recent tax statement
- Proof of child support and/or public assistance if you receive them
- Proof of homeownership (abstract, deed of trust of most recent property tax statement)
- Proof of homeowner insurance or letter/quote of intent to acquire insurance
If you are interested in the program, please complete the application linked below and submit to the Habitat for Humanity of Camden County office in person along with your verification documents.
If you have questions about the ABWK program, email [email protected] or call (912) 673-1266.
141 City Smitty Drive
St. Marys, GA 31558